Albert M. Messer
Al Messer was born and raised in Western North Carolina and is a 1987 graduate of Tuscola Senior High School in Waynesville, North Carolina. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice from the University of South Carolina in 1991. Having received his Juris Doctorate Degree from the University of Arkansas in 1996, he was admitted to the State Bar of North Carolina in 1997.
Al began his legal career as an associate with a Waynesville law firm, then became an Assistant District Attorney in Asheville. In 1999, he opened his own firm in Asheville.
With knowledge and experience as both a prosecutor and a defense attorney, Al maintains an active trial practice in the State and Federal courts of North Carolina. He has jury trial experience in matters ranging from traffic offenses to complex and serious felony offenses. His practice also involves civil matters that include but are not limited to personal injury, wrongful death, contracts, wills and powers of attorney.
Al is a member of the North Carolina State Bar, the Federal District Court for the Western District of North Carolina, the North Carolina Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Buncombe County Bar Association, the North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers, the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, and the Buncombe County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association.
Outside the courtroom, Al is an avid outdoor and mountain bike enthusiast who takes full advantage of the wide-ranging recreational opportunities the mountains of Western North Carolina offer.
Areas of Practice
- Criminal Law
- Criminal Law - Federal (White Collar Crime)
- Traffic Violations
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Civil Matters
- Powers of Attorney
- North Carolina, 1997
- U.S. District Court Western District of North Carolina
- University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, Leflar Law Center, Fayetteville, Arkansas
- Juris Doctorate - 1996
- University of South Carolina
- Bachelor of Science - 1991
- Major: Criminal Justice
Professional Associations and Memberships
- North Carolina State Bar, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Buncombe County Bar Association
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Buncombe County Criminal Defense Lawyers Association